How to get rid of a migraine? Natural treatments such as chiropractic care and physical therapy can help reduce the frequency and severity of migraine headaches as part of an overall treatment program. For active attacks, taking measures such as dimming the lights, applying a hot or cold compress and easing pressure on your scalp or head may help. When you visit our clinic in search of migraine relief, we will provide an assessment to determine the cause and then create a customized treatment plan to help you find a solution.
Migraines don’t only refer to having a severe headache, and can include a range of symptoms that progress through four distinct phases:
- Prodrome – this takes place one or two days before an attack and may include mood swings, food cravings, increased thirst, frequent yawning and constipation.
- Aura – this may occur just before or during an attack and usually includes visual phenomena like seeing different shapes, spots or flashes. You may also experience pins and needles, weakness or numbness in your face or vision loss.
- Attack – during a migraine, symptoms include throbbing or pulsing pain, light and touch sensitivity and nausea or vomiting.
- Post-drome – the symptoms following an attack can include feeling confused or physically drained for up to a day or a feeling of elation in some cases.
Migraine Relief Treatment
Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to provide pain relief to people suffering from tension headaches, sinus headaches and migraine pain. With all-natural treatments like chiropractic care, our goal is to address the root cause of your headaches so you can find long-lasting relief. Many people turn to painkillers to mask their headache pain, but if you don’t fix the underlying cause, they will keep coming back.
Chiropractic treatments help by making adjustments to musculoskeletal and nervous systems. Realigning the spine increases your body’s mobility, which can be impacted by migraines. Issues with compressed or pinched nerves can also be factors, and chiropractic care is known to improve the function of the nervous system
Physical therapy treatments help by implementing fitness and wellness programs under the direction of our physical therapists. With a therapeutic plan, your body can get back to a healthier lifestyle, increase strength, and reduce sources of pressure that are associated with your migraines. Long-term relief is most likely when therapy is combined with changes to lifestyle. Our doctors will provide you with a guide for diet and exercise so that you can take control of your overall wellness.
What Causes Migraine Headaches?
There are a number of migraine triggers that can cause an attack, including:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Alcoholic drinks
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Certain medications
- Sensory stimuli like bright lights, sunlight or loud noises
- Certain foods
- Physical exertion
- Food additives
If you are in Stuart, Port St Lucie, Palm City or nearby areas in Martin & St Lucie County, call us today at (772) 781-1101 for a complimentary consultation. Our doctors will help discover the cause of your migraines and customize a treatment plan to finally get you the relief you need.